Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's New?

I've been a bad blogger, but life's been very busy, thus, the crux of this post. If you haven't already heard, we're moving back to central Illinois!

As of yesterday, Will is the new Meetings Director at the Crowne Plaza Hotel! He started last year in Chicago at Dave & Buster's as a special events assistant, until the position was eliminated company-wide. Since then he's been doing odds and ends for the company, but now has a more permanent place to use his great customer service and event planning skills. If you plan a convention with the Crowne, Will is the go-to man for all of your details!

This week I am busy tying up the loose ends in Chicago and I start my new position on Monday the 19th at the Hope Institute and The Autism Program of Illinois in Springfield. Their new location is the medical pavilion near the old Doctor's Hospital. It seems I will have the opportunity to use my communication and journalism skills, along with the clinical experiences I accrued working with individuals with mental illness at Thresholds.

The apartment is full of boxes, and we've cleaned as much as possible. Will is riding the train up Friday and we're moving on Saturday.

We're glad to move back to the land of half price rent, but I've been feeling a little sentimental. This has been our home for over two years, our first big adventure together and our first place together. Yesterday, I was walking to the gym, enjoying the leaves falling amongst the brownstones, the smells of the bakery and the kids riding their bikes on the walk. Then, I heard all the honking, had to wait to use equipment at the gym and almost got hit while crossing the street.

Things I won't miss are going around the block 20 times to find a parking spot, digging the car out of a parking spot in the winter, riding the train home with drunk and obnoxious Cubs fans, paying $4.00 for a gallon of milk, and over 12% tax on a bottle of wine.

While stating those lofty feelings of loving the city life, my friend recently asked me what I would miss most. After some long thought, the only thing I could come up with is the FOOD. In the city, there's Thai, Japanese, Italian, Argentinian....the list goes on. But the best part? It all comes to your doorstep any time of day. We're back to the land of the Horseshoe (which I love) and the land of "everything closes at 10:00 p.m." *sigh*

We're renting an apartment in Springfield for six months for literally less than half our current rent, and plan to save for a down payment on a house. Once we get settled, we'll make connections with everyone and start enjoying the best part of moving- family.

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Whoa milk is 1.89 here and butter (1 pound) is a dollar.

Andrew

JD said...

My point exactly. Not to mention with the crazy sales and addition alcohol tax, it ends up costing $15for a bottle of Yellowtail wine.

tricia said...

congrats. hope all goes well. and good luck in the new jobs.

JD said...

Thanks, Tricia. Enjoy your trip to Chicago!

Sarah McCoy said...

It will be nice to not be the only Lewis Lady left in the Springfield area.

I'M SOOOOO GLAD YOU'RE HOME! And Will, too. :)

Charissa (Holland) Motley said...

Every time we go to visit my parents, my husband jokes that if we moved to central IL on his current salary that we would "live like kings!" Probably not quite, but sometimes I really do miss the different pace of life there. I would move to Springfield any day. But that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon. Hope you guys are settling in!

JD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JD said...

Relatively, you COULD live like kings. We cut our rent more than in half. Which means, we'll by buying soon!

How did your move go, Charissa?

Charissa (Holland) Motley said...

Our move went ok, especially now that it's over. :o) We currently have a roommate (to keep up with the cost of living while I'm working only part-time right now!) so that is pretty interesting. Hope you guys are liking your new place and able to relax!